Picton Branch Library
On March 12, 1846, a charter was obtained for a Mechanic’s Institute in the Town of Picton, which functioned intermittently until 1890 when a meeting was called to establish a full-fledged library. The Committee appointed was authorized to spend $100 on books. After some years of preparation, in 1902, a bylaw was passed changing the Mechanic’s Institute into a Free Public Library. On December 12, 1907, the present building was opened as a new Carnegie Library. One of a limited number of Carnegie designed libraries in Ontario; the building retains much of its original structure and appearance, including oak pillars, elegant archways and a handsome fireplace. Andrew Carnegie’s name is perhaps most associated with Carnegie Hall, but this Scottish immigrant turned American industrialist and philanthropist felt that the most significant contribution that could be given to a community was a free library, and he devoted much of his funding and energy to the cause.
Today the Picton Public Library is a popular community resource for information, access to resources, programming, and events.