Harry Smith Conservation Area
Harry Smith Conservation Area is a lovely spot for a picnic. The area includes a small pond, originally created to move logs into a log mill that was located on the property in the 1800s, near the outlet of the pond. Two picnic tables are located on the grounds, and area residents have planted flowers around a commemorative plaque. There are no maintained trails at this Conservation Area.
A Little History
This parcel of land was donated to the Prince Edward Region Conservation Authority in 1983 by Smith Quinte Enterprises of Belleville, and named in memory of Harry Smith. Perhaps the most historic mill in Prince Edward County was Roblin’s Mill, located in what is now the Harry Smith Conservation Area. Built in 1842, the grist mill was powered by water channeled from nearby Roblin Lake. In 1920 the mill ceased operation and stood vacant until the 1960s. The building was dismantled piece-by-piece and re-erected at Black Creek Pioneer Village in Toronto.
This 2.8 hectare (7 acre) Conservation Area is located in Ameliasburgh. Take Purdy Street, located on the north side of County Road 19, in the village of Ameliasburgh, 18 km southwest of Belleville and 32 km northwest of Picton. Take care when using the entrance road as it is gravel, steep, and twisty.
Download this information as well as a conservation area map here.